Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Twist!

1) The villain is another archetype, analyze the character of Lucius as a villain archetype, what does he represent?

Lucius represents everything that is viewed as evil in the world. While Angela his sister, represents an angel, he represents the devil. I think he is an original character seeing that he isn't stereotypically fat, or necessarily mean, he is just a seemingly ordinary person. The only bad part to him is the devil inside him. The one that lets him kill his sisters lover, and join the KKK. A totally "Angelic" sister, with the totally awful brother. Everything that she is, looking past the color, good, truthful, able, honest, he is not. An opposite to the perfection.

2) Why do you think the author of the musical chose to set the story in New Orleans. How does the history of New Orleans reflect the racial history of the United States?

I think that the author chose New Orleans because of its racial history. It started out being Native American territory until the French started a colony there. After Napoleon sold the territory to the Americans, many different races and ethnicities flowed into the city. These included French, Creole, Irish, German, Haitians, African Americans and other white Americans. New Orleans has always been a diverse city. New Orleans story is very similar to the Story of the United States. Especially in New York City, many races and ethnicities came to have a better life. I think the author chose New Orleans because in doing so, they chose the whole United States.

3)What worked about the production? What needed to be improved? If a producer hired you to get the production ready for Broadway, what changes would you make?

For me at least, I felt like many of the songs where too similar. When they are too similar then most aren't memorable. Songs like the "Death" song that are unique leave one remembering and playing back the song in their head. More memorable songs would make a world of difference. The dancing I felt like could have been better. At the beginning the tap dancing was amazing, but you never saw anything that good later on. I also thought that the ghost dance was great, but that style would be hard to apply anywhere else. I know that they where trying to have all different dances through African American history, but I felt that like the songs, only few where memorable and most remained generic. Other than those to things, the only other problem I thought was the length, some songs where unnecessary and made it so much longer, I think that if I actually was hired I would somehow address the length. Other than that, It was amazing, I loved almost every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment